Private Sector Partnership Aids in the delivery of Supplies

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditlinkedintumblrmail

At times NGOs suffer from an odd curse, having enough supplies on hand but no manner in which to deliver them. High fuel costs have led to organizations such as the World Food Program requiring that physical donations be accompanied with financial contributions to offset transportation costs. The Clinton Foundation, Mozambique Government, and Coca Cola corporation are piloting a partnership that means “empty trucks, fuel, and drivers for one week each month, with Coca-Cola providing 60% of the costs and the foundation the remaining 40%.” If the partnership goes ahead, the Clinton Foundation will be able to assist undeserved medical facilities while providing Coca Cola with an opportunity to better address the needs of the community they operate in.

MDG Mozambique drug warehouseThe Coca Cola corporation has already made headlines by partnering with Colalife to bring social products to remote communities through their supply chain. The ability for NGOs to cut costs and capitalize on existing systems is becoming ever more necessary as aid flows decrease and programs extend into more distant communities. While this is just one example of the private sector becoming involved in aid work, we are sure to see organizations of every color forging partnerships in the Global South.

Corporations and NGOs have received a substantial amount of criticism over the creation of partnerships in aid work. Some see the fusion of these service provision partnerships as mere publicity stunts that work towards the brand promise. This may be just that, but it is helping save lives and address an issues in an innovate approach.

The content for this article was taken from The Guardian in an article by Lucy Lambe.

Developed by:

The Clinton Foundation

Find out more

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditlinkedintumblrmail
Eric Pires

Eric Pires

Eric Pires is a writer and co-founder of Innovate Development. He has worked in various sectors in Latin America and is currently working in Antigua, Guatemala.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eight − 4 =